Want to try a vegetarian dish for National Vegetarian Week? Or are you looking for some a little bit different to make for the dinner? Give this cheesy broccoli pasta bake a try:
What will you need?
2 garlic cloves , bashed
2 bay leaves
500g dried pasta
350g broccoli , in small florets
75g plain flour
a little freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp mustard powder
small bunch parsley , roughly chopped
200g veggie cheese , grated (cheddar, Gruyère, or a mixture)
How to make the pasta bake:
1. Bring the milk, garlic and bay leaves to the boil on a small saucepan and then remove from the heat and leave to infuse
2. Cook the pasta to al dente following the pack instructions (if you’re freezing, cook for 1 min less) and then add in the broccoli for the last 2 minutes and then drain
3. Strain the milk into a jug
4. Heat the butter in the pan until foaming and then stir in the flour for 1 minute. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring or whisking constantly to remove any lumps. Bubble for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly until you have a thick, lump free sauce
5. Remove from the heat and stir in some nutmeg, the mustard powder, parsley, three-quarters of the cheese and seasoning
6. Combine with the pasta and broccoli and put into one large, or individual, heatproof dishes
7. Scatter over the remaining cheese and cool and freeze or heat up the grill to high and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and bubbling
8. If frozen, defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook at 220c/180C fan/gas 6 for 30-40 minutes until piping hot
So if your looking for something a little bit different why not give this recipe a go.
What will you be making for National Vegetarian Week? Comment below and let us know.