Fed up of having turkey on Christmas day? Have a vegetarian coming over for dinner or are you just looking for something a little bit different to have in between Christmas and New Year? Well how about this easy to make Sweet Potato, Red Cabbage and Butternut Squash Layer.
This is a delicious and healthy recipe which can be prepared, frozen, defrosted and even reheated in the microwave – so you have the most amount of time relaxing on Christmas day.
What you will need to make this recipe:
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Equipment: Pyrex 1.6L casserole dish
750g sweet potatoes
750g butternut squash
½ red cabbage (approx. 450g)
1 tsp ground cumin
Black pepper to taste
Grated rind ½ orange
1 thick slice wholemeal bread, cut into small cubes
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp olive oil
50g pumpkin seeds
15g Chia seeds
You can buy all of the ingredient you will need for this recipe from Tesco Groceries
Method on how to make this dish:
1. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and butternut squash and cook in 2 separate pans with enough lightly salted water to just cover. Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Drain well.
2. Slice the red cabbage thinly and cook in a pan with the lid on with the sugar and raisins and 100ml water for approx. 10 minutes until tender.
3. Preheat the oven to Gas 5, 190 C.
4. Mash the sweet potato with the butter, cumin and black pepper, and then put into the base of the Pyrex casserole dish, leveling the surface. Drain the red cabbage of any juice and layer on top of the potato.
5. Mash the butternut squash with the orange rind and layer on top of the red cabbage.
6. Mix together the topping ingredients and scatter over the top of the butternut squash. Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the bread is crunchy and golden brown.
Will you be giving this recipe a try? Comment below and let us know.