See our tips on how to pick the right shade of foundation for your skin.
We are using Rituals Gemstone foundation which we were kindly sent.
Finding the right colour of foundation for your skin can be a little bit of a nightmare. There are so many different shades out there, different brands and it’s hard to know which foundation will be best for your skin type.
So how do you go about picking the right shade of foundation for your skin?
Below are a few tips that might help you on the road to getting the right shade:
1. The first thing you need to consider before even trying any shades of foundation is what type of skin do you have?
If you have dry skin you should look for foundations which are hydrating or moisture-rich. We tried Rituals Gemstone Foundation which has Amethyst and Pure Minerals and found this worked a treat for dry skin!
If you have oily skin, try and look for foundations which have the words oil-free, oil-control or mattifying or if you have combination skin (dry/oily) try and determine which you are most.
Do you have more oily skin than dry? or do you have more dry that oily? Cream-to-powder base foundations can work well for combination skin. Mineral foundations work well for all skin types.
2. Now you have your skin type sorted out, the next question you need to ask yourself is, what kind of coverage do you want, light or medium? We choose Rituals gemstone in number 1 for the lightest colour and for good coverage. As you will see by the picture the colour matches my skin perfect.
If you have good skin but want to even out some areas, consider a light coverage. For those who have really uneven skin tone or blemishes consider a medium-cover foundation.
3. When you go to the shop/make up counter to get your foundation, go with a fresh, clean face. You can put on your eye makeup and even some moisturizer on your face but don’t turn up with foundation all ready on your face.
4. Pick out a few colours that you think are the closest to your natural colour. Try yellow-based foundations, which look natural on most skin tones. However if you’re very fair try a pink, cooler shade. There are 7 Rituals foundations to choose from all with SPF 10 giving you a natural look and some sun protection for summer.
5. Apply a stroke of up to three colours on a cheek – the one that disappears is the right shade.
6. Take a good look – go and look into a mirror and see what the foundation looks like on your face. The one which will be the right shade will be the one that you can’t see because it blends in so well.
We at UnderTheChristmasTree choose to use Rituals foundation as it’s light texture makes it blend in easily (which we struggle to do with other foundations) and because it has pure minerals in the foundation you skin can breath and keep looking healthy.
We earn a commission for products purchase through some links in this article.
You can buy Rituals Foundation at John Lewis
These are just a few tips to try and help you get the perfect foundation for your skin. What do you do when buying a new foundation? Comment below and let us know.