The UK’s favourite bird with its bright red breast has some very interesting traits, here we list 5 facts you might not know about Robin’s.
Although associated at Christmas, Robin redbreast (as it is nicknamed) has many different habits and traits, here we list 5 facts you may not know.
- The Robin is part of the thrush family, so is related to the blackbird and the nightingale.
- Given a choice of any food, most robins like mealworms best of all.
- The first British postmen wore red coats and gained the nickname of robin or redbreast.
- Robins sing nearly all year round and despite their cute appearance, they are aggressively territorial and are quick to drive away intruders.
- Each robin has a unique breast pattern, and can (with difficulty) be recognised individually.
We love the humble (if not a little naughty!) Robin bird!