Treat yourself to a warm Granola topped mince pie, straight from the oven and the perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of tea. Christmas wouldn’t be the same without mince pies that melt in your mouth and tingle your taste buds giving that warm festive feeling.
Christmas Mince Pies with Lizi’s Original Granola Topping
These mince pies are not only easy to make, but fun to make with the whole family.
Makes: 18 mince pies
- 225g cold butter, diced
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g mincemeat
- Lizi’s Original Granola for topping
- Icing sugar, to dust
- To make the pastry, rub 225g cold, diced butter into 350g plain flour, then mix in 100g golden caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Combine the pastry into a ball – don’t add liquid – and knead it briefly. The dough will be fairly firm, like shortbread dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Line 18 holes of two 12-hole patty tins, by pressing small walnut-sized balls of pastry into each hole. Spoon 280g mincemeat into the pies.
- Roll out the pastry for the lids and use a star cutter, big enough to reach the edges. Top the pies with their lids. You don’t have to use a star cutter, you can use any shape you desire.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar. They will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Hints and Tips:
Delicious either warm or cold these tasty mince pies can be served on their own, dusted with icing sugar or topped with ice cream, rum or brandy butter.
Thanks to Lizi’s High Protein Granola who supplied us with this recipe.