For many, it’s not Christmas until you’re covered in a mound of colourful chocolate wrappers. Here we have 8 Quality Street Christmas teasers you probably didn’t know.
We’re full of festive spirit.
We earn a commission for products purchase through some links in this article.
We all love foraging through the iconic purple tub at Christmas to find our favourite Quality Street sweet, usually to find they’ve been all gobbled up, but what do we actually know about these delicious treats?
Below you’ll find eight Christmas teasers and fun facts you may not already know.
- The Purple One is shaped like a Brazil nut shell because it used to contain a Brazil nut, but was replaced with a hazelnut as they became more popular.
- In China Quality Street is a wedding sweet and is given out at wedding receptions instead of at Christmas.
- The couple on the Quality Street tin are known as The Major and Miss. Their real names are Phoebe Throssel and Valentine Brown who are characters from a play called Quality Street.
- The socialite and fashion designer Mille Mackintosh is a descendant of Violet Mackintosh the Quality Street toffee inventor.
- Toffee Finger was part of our original assortment as well as Green Triangle, The Purple One and Caramel Swirl.
- Quality Street was invented by Harold Mackintosh. He was made a Lord in recognition of his work to raise money for the war effort.
- Quality Street was named after a play of the same name that was written by J.M. Barrie (who also wrote Peter Pan).
- During the Second World War there was a shortage of paint and Quality Street tins were made with red, black and ochre pictures.
We all have our favourite chocolates, which seem to disappear as soon as the tin is opened, while the less popular sweets are left lying at the bottom of the tin for weeks.
What Quality Street chocolate variety would be your first choice?
- The Purple One: Milk chocolate filled with hazelnut and caramel (purple wrapper)
- Green Triangle: Hazelnut noisette (green foil wrapper)
- Chocolate Toffee Finger (gold wrapper)
- Strawberry Delight (red wrapper)
- Caramel Swirl (yellow foil wrapper)
- Milk Choc Block (green wrapper)
- Orange Crunch (orange foil wrapper)
- Orange Creme (orange wrapper)
- Fudge (pink wrapper)
- Coconut Eclair (blue wrapper)
- Toffee Penny (gold wrapper)
- Chocolate Caramel Brownie (brown wrapper)
We can’t choose which one we like the best so we will have to keep trying them all until we decide…