It looks good! It tastes good! and by golly it does you good too! This Multi Grain Wholemeal Bread recipe will quickly become a family favourite.
We were delighted when Frankonia kindly sent in this delicious bread recipe, we hope you like it just as much as we all do.
Multi Grain Wholemeal Bread
Ingredients: you can find these at Tesco.com
- 635g Wholemeal Bread Flour
- 65g Cracked Wheat (soak in 65 ml water over night)
- 250g Seed Mixture (Pumpkin, Sesame, Sunflower at equal amounts) plus extra for topping
- 12g Salt14g Fresh Yeast
- 520ml Tepid water
Before you start or the day before, roast your seeds in the oven at 170 degrees for a few minutes and let them cool. This will make them more aromatic and flavorsome.
Makes two 20cm x 10cm loaf tins.
1. Place your flour, cracked wheat, seed mixture, salt and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attached. Add your water and start mixing at slow speed for approx. 4 minutes. Now turn your speed to fast and mix 8 minutes. Your dough should feel smooth and soft.
2. Tip your dough onto a lightly floured work surface shape to a ball and put into a large clean bowl. Cover this with a tea towel and leave to rest for approx. 1 hour. The dough should double in size.
3. Place your dough on your lightly floured work surface, knock it back and start to knead it by stretching the dough from its centre away from you and folding it over backwards towards you. Keep doing this until you have a fairly tight dough ball at which point all the air has been squeezed out which will ensure an even crumb in your finished loaf.
4. Divide your dough into half and form 2 cylinder shaped pieces, big enough to fit into your tins.
5. Place some of your spare seed mixture on a plate and spray your dough pieces with a little bit of water. Now roll your dough pieces through the seeds. The water will make them stick. Then place your dough in your well-greased tins and set aside, covering them with a tea towel again for your final prove. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius
6. Once doubled in size place your tins on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
7. Once they baked, using oven gloves, carefully take them out of the tins and cool on a wire rack.
The smell of this bread baking through your home over Christmas will even make GBBO, Paul Hollywood jealous.
Have you given the Multi Grain Wholemeal Bread recipe a try? Get in touch and tell us what you and your family thought of it.