Washing our hands is something we do so regularly that we hardly give it a second thought.
The most common way germs are spread is by people’s hands, which is why our hand hygiene is so important.
The question we need to ask is not how often we wash our hands but HOW we wash them
A quick scoosh from the nice smelling hand wash, rub your hands together, rinse under a running tap and a quick dry with the towel hanging in the bathroom just isn’t enough.
Did you know that it only takes a minimum of fifteen to twenty seconds to wash your hands properly?
That doesn’t seem like very long but try timing yourself next time you head off to wash your hands; you’ll be amazed just how little time you normally spend actually washing.
Around 95% of us spend just 6 seconds washing our hands, very little when you consider that hand washing is the single most effective thing to do to reduce the spread of infectious diseases
Follow the steps below from wash-hands.com to correctly wash your hands
- Wet your hands with water
- Use enough soap and hand wash to cover all hand surfaces
- Rub palms together
- Right palm over the other hand with interlaced fingers and vice versa
- Palm to palm with fingers interlaced
- Backs of fingers to opposing palms with fingers interlocked
- Rotational rubbing of left thumb clasped in right palm and vice versa
- Rotational rubbing, backwards and forwards with clasped fingers of right hand in left palm and vice versa
- Rinse hands with water
- Dry thoroughly with towel.
Time Taken – At least 15 seconds!
You may think 15 seconds isn’t a long time but when you’re washing your hands it feels like it. So how can you time 15 seconds? Try singing the happy birthday song, TWICE.
It’s a jaw dropping fact that after visiting the toilet, only one in twenty people wash their hands for long enough to kill harmful germs.
Another grotty fact is that one third do not use soap and a further 10% don’t wash their hands at all.
Have these disgusting facts send you rushing off to the toilet to wash your hands again?
Get in touch below and tell us how you get your children to wash their hands properly.