As the sun starts to shine and the wind gets a little warmer this is the ideal time to head off into the kitchen and prepare some delicious chutneys that you can make all the way up to Christmas.
We particularly liked this simple to make rhubarb chutney recipe below from Aldi who kindly sent this across to us, with both its sweet and savoury taste this makes a perfect accompaniment to a wide range of food especially over the festive period.
Rhubarb Chutney recipe
SERVES: 1 person
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
What you will need:
- 400g Rhubarb
- 1 medium Red Onion
- 1 large clove of Garlic
- 50g Sultanas
- 75ml Malt Vinegar
- 15g piece Fresh Ginger
- 80g Light Brown Sugar
- 80g Caster Sugar
- 1 heaped tsp Paprika
- Peel, half and finely chop the red onion
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Peel and finely chop the ginger
- Put the onion, garlic, sugars, vinegar, sultanas, ginger and paprika in a medium saucepan
- Slowly bring to the boil, stirring as you cook
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Chop the rhubarb into small pieces and add to the pan
- Bring back to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened
- Serve warm or cold
If you don’t plan to eat this delicious chutney right away then spoon it into warm, clean jars, and seal. Once completely cooled label the jars.
And that’s all there is to it!
Now all you have to do is grab some Christmas left overs, dollop on top and enjoy.
Do you love homemade chutney at Christmas? You can get in touch with us using our social media buttons or the comments section below.