Crispy bacon (or veggie style), mushrooms and pancakes – now this would be a lunch we would eat every last piece of!
This tasty pancake would make a great alternative Christmas morning breakfast and will serve four people.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 25g (1 oz) unsalted butter
- 115g (4 oz) button mushrooms
- 1tsp Tabasco® Pepper Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
For the Savoury Scotch pancakes:
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 150ml – 200ml milk (add more milk for a thinner consistency)
How to make the crispy bacon and mushroom pancakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6.
2. Melt the butter in a medium pan. Cut the mushrooms into small dice and cook in the butter and Tabasco® until drying out, about 4 minutes, then season.
3. Cook the rashers of bacon in the preheated oven until well done and crisp (see below). Take out and chop three of the rashers into fine bits, leaving the others whole. Add the bacon bits to the mushrooms, along with the parsley.
4. Now for the pancakes. In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together, then make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg. Stir, adding enough of the milk to make a stiff batter. Stir in the mushroom, bacon and parsley mixture.
5. Heat a griddle or frying pan and place on it a 5cm (2 ½in) greased metal ring. Using a tbsp, drop a spoonful of batter into the ring on the griddle, and leave to set and colour for a few minutes. Turn over, remove the ring and allow to cook on the second side. Each pancake takes about 5 minutes to cook. Store inside a tea-towel until all are cooked. You should have about twelve pancakes.
6. Stack three pancakes per plate, with two pieces of halved rasher between each pancake, and two on top (three whole rashers per three pancakes).
7. Pour 2oz melted butter with 1tsbp chopped parsley over to serve
Et Voila your pancakes are ready! Do you like bacon with pancakes? share your thoughts below.
This super fun pancake recipe which was developed for Tabasco by Brian Turner.