This Macaroni cheese with Butternut squash and maple syrup recipe is a great vegetarian alternative for Christmas!
When we first heard about this recipe, we must admit we were a tad skeptical about how tasty this would be. We normally wouldn’t really think to put maple syrup into a macaroni cheese dish, but now that we’ve seen the delicious looking picture of this dish from ilovemaple.co.uk, we reckon it might just be worth a go!
Here’s what you’ll need and steps on how to make this delicious vegetarian recipe:
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME 20 minutes
SERVING: 4 portions
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml butter
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 250 ml milk, warmed
- 450 g macaroni
- 250 ml orange cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ml paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 250 ml mozzarella, grated
You can get all these ingredients from Tesco.com
1. In a saucepan, sauté onions and squash cubes in butter over medium heat. Add maple syrup, and stir for 1 minute before adding milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook macaroni until al dente. Drain and return pasta to the pan.
3. Use a blender to purée squash and onions into a smooth sauce.Pour over macaroni, adding cheddar and paprika, and salt and pepper.
4. Mix well, transfer into a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for a few minutes until cheese has melted.
How stunning does this meat free dish look? once again, our stomach’s are rumbling!
Share your homemade winter warmer recipes for over the festive season below.