This Christmas Chestnut & Mushroom Pie would make a great alternative for vegetarian friends and family.
Easy to make and ready in just 45 minutes and serving up to six people it would also make a great meal for all the family any day of the week.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Calories per serving: 349
Total fat per serving: 21.5g
Saturated fat per serving: 8.1g
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 small shallots, peeled
- 200g small chestnut mushrooms, wiped
- 200g button mushrooms, wiped
- 200g cooked chestnuts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 100ml red wine
- Approx 100ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2-3tbsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150g fresh cranberries, thawed if frozen
- 225g puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 egg, beaten
You can get all these ingredients from Tesco.com
You will need a 23cm deep pie dish.
How to make the Christmas Chestnut & Mushroom Pie
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan and sauté the shallots until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the chestnuts, herbs and the red wine and enough vegetable stock to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to reduce the liquid a little.
4. Stir in the mustard, soy sauce, parsley and black pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Spoon half the mixture into a pie dish. Top with the cranberries and spoon over the remaining chestnut and mushroom mix.
6. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of filling. Brush with the beaten egg. Make three small slits and bake for about 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
This delicious recipe was sent to us by Kikkoman.co.uk
In no time at all your Christmas Chestnut & Mushroom Pie is ready to serve.
Would your family enjoy a homemade chestnut and mushroom pie? Share your thoughts and recipes below.