In the Summer your garden looks bright and beautiful but what about in Winter? Here the Horticultural Trades Association shares five top tips to adding extra colour to your garden.
The Winter months can leave our gardens looking a little dull but adding in a touch of extra colour is not as difficult as it may seem. Below the Horticultural Trades Association shares five top tips to brighten up the outdoors.
1. Choose your planting sites carefully. Ensure new plants are positioned in full view from a window or prime position by patio doors so you can enjoy them every time you look outside on dull days.
2. Add winter colour to your front garden to welcome you home and cheer-up your local neighbourhood.
3. Fill patio pots and baskets with hardy winter bedding plants, like pansies and violas with cheerful faces in a kaleidoscope of colours.
4. Cover the ground under trees or shrubs with a carpet of Winter Aconites (Eranthis hyemalis). Although dry tubers are only available for autumn planting they’ll establish better from growing plants, and small pots of flowering aconites are available to buy during winter. Get ready to buy snowdrops too!
5. Plant clumps of winter flowering Iris unguicularis to brighten a dry, sunny spot at the base of a wall or fence, and use blooms as cut flowers to bring indoors.
It’s time to get the wellies on!