Searching for a alternative vegetarian Christmas starter? then this Spinach, Feta & Nut Puff Pastry Pie recipe is for you.
It can often be quite difficult to find alternative recipes to make for those of us who are vegetarian, so we were delighted when Aldi send us over this delicious veggie recipe.
- 450g Nature’s Pick Unwashed Spinach
- 100g The Pantry Walnuts
- 100g Mixed Seeds (Pumpkin and Sunflower, for example
- 150g Everyday Essentials Greek Style Salad Cheese
- 2 Greenvale Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 2 Eggs
- Olive or Rapeseed Oil, good quality
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Allow the pastry sheets to come to room temperature.
2. Wash and drain the spinach. In a large deep pan, add a drizzle of oil and add the spinach. Sweat the spinach down until just cooked, season generously with salt and pepper, place in a bowl and allow to cool. Once cool, grab small handfuls and squeeze gently to remove the excess water.
3. In a frying pan on a moderate heat, dry toast the walnuts and a handful of mixed seeds. Season with salt and remove after 5 minutes.
4. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, lay out one of the pastry sheets.
5. Add the spinach, leaving a 4-5cm border around the edges. Scatter the seeds and nuts, crumble over the salad cheese and then sprinkle with the oregano.
6. Next, separate the eggs, discarding the white and putting the yolks in a bowl. Lightly whisk the yolks. Using a pastry brush, apply the egg yolks to the pastry border. Add the second sheet of pastry to the top and press down to seal the sides, trim if necessary.
7. Brush the remaining egg yolk over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Hint: turn this into a delicious festive veggie recipe by adding your favourite herbs and spices.